It has been my intention to post a tribute to a very dear pet of mine, Mulligan, whom I loved dearly and I preserve through the name of our farm. But this page was started in tribute to a very small hero, J&A Farms Achilles.  His memory will live on through this website, and others.  I pray that you will read his story and learn from it, so that no others may pass so needlessly.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When a pet dies - one that's been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water, and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable, fear and worry free.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and the vigor of youth. Those who were abused, hurt, or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we would want to remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them - someone who had to be left behind. That someone who was kind, gentle, and loving. That someone who took the extra step, stayed the extra minute, reached out and touched with love, even once.

The animals all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent, his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the big, trusting eyes of your special love, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then, you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

Author Unknown

J&A Achilles
"The bravest of fighters"


    Achilles came into this world during the early morning hours of June 3rd, 2004.  His mother, Carla, had been on the webcam at J&A Farm, in Verbena, Alabama for several months, where hundreds of viewers watched and waited anxiously for the delivery of her foal.  Carla had been pasture bred, so the exact date for delivery was unknown.

    Labor turned into a red bag delivery, a very serious situation for the foal.  Angie was able to deliver the foal, and it was a long awaited appaloosa colt.  However, it was obvious that there were problems.  The colt was weak and having difficulty staying awake.  Angie made the critical decision to take the colt to a local large animal hospital, where he was given the name, Achilles.  A strong name to provide strength and protection for this small foal.

    Achilles prognosis was grim.  His white blood count was low and he had not received the colostrum that he so desperately needed from his mother.  He was placed on IV's, oxygen and received a plasma transfusion from his mother.  He had a foal sitter 24 hours a day and was under constant care.

     After a few days he showed signs of improvement and he continued to improve to the point that he was following the doctors during their rounds.  He had become the pet of the hospital.  When he was tired and it was time to sleep he was picked up and put into a bed and covered with a blanket.  When he was ready to get up from his nap, he'd stick his head over the side of his bed and the staff would pick him up and bring him out to wander the hospital with them.

     Achilles thrived and was soon ready to come home.  However, human negligence came into play.  The vet in charge of Achilles' went on vacation, and things turned sour.  Angie had strict orders that none of her minis were to be placed on shavings.  These orders were clearly marked on the charts, but no one was reading the orders.  Achilles' 24 hour nurse was gone, and he was placed into the stall with his mother, which was filled with shavings.  That same day Achilles started having breathing problems. 

     24 hours later the doctors decided to take an x-ray to see what was going on.  The x-ray showed that Achilles' windpipe and nasal passages were filled with shavings.  The staff attempted to remove the shavings, but Achilles started to slip downhill.

     Achilles died the next morning. 

    He fought a fight that few adult horses would have won.  He would have succeeded if it weren't for human negligence.  I realize that we are human and humans are prone to error, but the blatant disregard for the instructions left by the owner caused the needless suffering and death of a beautiful animal.

   Achilles belonged to Angie & Jim Ciesla of J&A Farms in Verbena, Alabama.  They are no longer raising minis, but I'm sure that Achilles memory will live with them, and us forever.

  Dillards HHH Latigo and Lace.....

Latigo was born May 5, 2003 and she passed away on July 28, 2005.

     She was our rock. She was a mothering, nurturing spirit who liked everyone and every animal she met and she felt like she was their protector. She was a clown always there to cheer me up when I was sad.

She was exuberant and always greeted me everyday with her neighs and with kisses. She was always running through the field with her head held high and always happy. Oh and she loved to smell flowers (and sometimes eat them). Latigo was taken from our home to soon. She passed away from an impaction in her stomach. She was truly loved by all that meet her and will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace my Latigo. One day we will be together again.

This is a poem that a family  member wrote for Latigo.


   ....Gone but never forgotten.


Beyond The Rainbow   by Cate Guyan

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,

I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.

I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free

Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side

Were meadows rich and beautiful -- lush and green and wide!

And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see

Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!
My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new

And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.

I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright

That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright Glow pierced the night.

'Twas the Glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold

And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.

For although we may not be together in the way we used to be,

We are still connected by a cord that no eye can see.

So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart

If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.



   Draco enjoying the day

Draco & Raven   Draco Precious & Thorn

    We found Draco hiding. under cars at our office.  When we found him he was only a few months old and very sick.  He had mange and ticks all over him. He was nothing but skin and bones and in need of a good home.
    We took him to the vet and got him back in good health. He lived a wonderful life until the age of 9.  In March 2007 we had to let Draco go.  His immune system had started attacking his body and blood clots hit his brain causing seizures.
   Now he joins Lati - I know they are running together again....



Heather & Shannon Troglauer

Mother/Daughter Team

541 Two Notch Road

Mulligan's Run Farm


Lexington, SC 29073


Copyright © 2006 - 2010 by Mulligans Run Farm Some parts Copyright © 2006 - 2010 by Snapped by Shannon and Whirlwind Productions, Inc.

Other trademarks and logos are the property of their owners. All rights reserved.


free counters